I LOVE TO RUN. If you have been faithfully following my blog then you are aware of this fact. There is no exercise I enjoy more than running. There is just something about getting out there and pounding the pavement. Or trail. Or grass. Or track. Or beach. I will run just about anywhere. Well, not anywhere but you know what I mean. I was not much of a runner until 2005. I was in graduate school at the time and I lived near a lake that had a paved trail around it. In an effort “get away from it all”, I would often go out to the lake and run. The trail was two and a quarter miles long so it usually took me anywhere from 19-30 minutes to run around once. I found a lot of serenity at the lake. It was surrounded by trees and there were plenty of geese, ducks and other water fowl to keep me entertained. This very lake I began to run around in 2005 was the same lake I was at in 2010 when I decided to run a marathon. I truly came full circle out there :-}.
So you want to start running? Here are some suggestions to get you started….
1. Figure out if you are the type of person who will need someone to motivate you to run or not. In most areas, there are running clubs so that would be a good place to start if you need some extra motivation.
2. Decide on a goal. My goal was to be able to go from running 2-4 miles to being able to complete a marathon(26.2 miles). Your goal does not have to be that outrageous or it can be. Whatever you decide, stick to it!
3. Research running. Sounds kind of crazy, right? Well up until 2010, I was running in the wrong types of shoes and clothing. I was also not worried about protein, which is essential to runners. There is all kinds of information out there to assist you in getting started. Research foods to eat, beverages to drink, different places to run, how to breathe properly while running, etc. By the way, when running, I inhale through my nose, exhale through my mouth…in your nose, out your mouth.
4. Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. THIS IS IMPORTANT. In my opinion, it is the most important thing you need to do before you start running. The correct shoes are essential for your success. P.S. If you go to a store and the associate has you try on shoe but does not have you run in it, either in the store or outside, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! Those that do it right will not let you leave without watching to see how you run in different shoes.
5. Buy some running gear. Do not run in cotton!! Cotton traps in heat and it is harder for your body to cool off when you are wearing it. Once I learned this, I understood why I always felt like I was going to pass out when I was running in a “wife beater.” Great fabrics to run in are nylon, rayon and polyester. Also, look into purchasing a fuel belt. These are essential on long runs because you will need to hydrate during your run.
6. Running is MIND OVER MATTER. Trust me. I can not tell you how many times I have had to repeat this to myself on 14 mile runs. There will be many days when your body will want to quit. Unless you are seriously injured, then you will have to push your body farther than it think it can go. Even on extremely hard runs, I have never regretted getting out there and getting it done.
7. Do not be hard on yourself. Some days will be better than others. Some days you will run an eight minute mile. Some days you will run a 12 minute mile. It happens. Do not beat yourself up about it.
I think that should be enough to get you started :-}. Now, go get your run on!! Have fun!
Until next time…TOODELLS.